[License-discuss] license for code used for scientific results?

Tzeng, Nigel H. Nigel.Tzeng at jhuapl.edu
Mon Apr 30 18:14:28 UTC 2012

You probably have already done this but I suggest seeing if the
ScienceCommons and NeuroCommons projects offers something to your liking.

http://neurocommons.org/page/Main_Page

http://creativecommons.org/science

It would be highly useful to have a single set of licenses to cover data,
software and publications along with the usual set of CC like options (BY,
BY-SA, BY-SA-NC, etc).  The most likely place to find where we're at with
that is within the ScienceCommons community.  Working with that community
might be fruitful for you.

IMHO you are better served to release under a permissive license and build
a community that encourages sharing than attempt to force sharing.  The
neurocommons project is an excellent exemplar in my opinion.  I believe
most of their code is BSD or something similar.  I like it far more than
the EPPA model...but perhaps EPPA driven to be that way since they use the
GAMS commercial product.

Regarding your desire for an OSI approved license that meets your
criteria...I pretty sure it doesn't exist.

Regards,

Nigel