[License-discuss] the role of OSI and the license list [was Re: BSD, MIT [was Re: Draft of new OSI licenses landing page; please review.]]

Luis Villa luis at tieguy.org
Thu Apr 5 18:22:25 UTC 2012

On Thu, Apr 5, 2012 at 8:43 AM, Tom Callaway <tcallawa at redhat.com> wrote:
> On 04/05/2012 11:35 AM, John Cowan wrote:
>> So put Apache before MIT/BSD, but don't drop them altogether.
>
> Perhaps we should simply alphabetize these licenses? I'm not sure we'll
> ever reach consensus on ordering by "importance" or "value" or "usefulness".

Perhaps it would be most productive for license-discuss to proceed
under the assumption that OSI would like to fill a more constructive
role in the community, and discuss what a license list published by
that sort of OSI would look like.

In parallel, the board and affiliates can discuss whether a more
proactive role is appropriate.

If the affiliates and board approve of a more active, forward-looking
role for OSI, then OSI can follow through on what license-discuss
advises in this thread. If they would prefer to remain in the current,
filter-only-for-OSD position, then this will have been an interesting
thought experiment for someone else to build on.

Luis