[License-discuss] BSD, MIT [was Re: Draft of new OSI licenses landing page; please review.]

John Cowan cowan at mercury.ccil.org
Thu Apr 5 15:35:29 UTC 2012

Luis Villa scripsit:

> Without getting into other issues, I'd hope we can agree that BSD/MIT
> do not belong in a first-class list here in 2012. Apache fills the
> same purpose[1] (permissive license) while being better drafted and
> properly handling patents.

All true, and I greatly favor Apache.  But BSD/MIT are well-understood
and still extremely pervasive.  Looking at Google Code, which was
founded fairly recently, Apache dominates; looking at Sourceforge and
Freshmeat, MIT and BSD dominate.

So put Apache before MIT/BSD, but don't drop them altogether.

--
He played King Lear as though           John Cowan <cowan at ccil.org>
someone had played the ace.             http://www.ccil.org/~cowan