[License-discuss] Draft of new OSI licenses landing page; please review.

Lawrence Rosen lrosen at rosenlaw.com
Wed Apr 4 22:25:24 UTC 2012

Karl Fogel wrote:
> (This may be more controversial than my last post -- we'll see.)

You bet! :-)

There is no way that OSI is qualified to "recommend releasing your software under one of the licenses from the first group if possible," as your draft now reads. You don't understand any of the clients' needs (nor do you actually represent a client), so how can you recommend anything except after disclaiming your very authority and ability to do so?

Are you intending to recommend those licenses to companies and projects already successfully using other licenses?

I would have no objection to OSI exercising its educational role to disclose true statements about any of our OSI-approved licenses, or even to quote statements attributed to the authors of those licenses. You could certainly publish valid popularity statistics for these licenses, for example the Black Duck report, or identify which licenses have been deprecated by their authors.

However, in line with our educational goal, some of us may also have "true" statements to make about some of those licenses to which some others of us might disagree. Be prepared, if you wish to have OSI comment upon specific licenses, to let the comments flow freely on your website. That may be a good thing, but it will certainly be controversial!

Only then, after reviewing that published truthful (or at least properly attributed) information, should a lawyer or other trusted counselor *recommend* a license to his or her client.

/Larry

Lawrence Rosen
3001 King Ranch Road, Ukiah, CA 95482