Can OSI specify that public domain is open source?

Karl Fogel kfogel at red-bean.com
Wed Sep 7 21:54:05 UTC 2011

Chad Perrin <perrin at apotheon.com> writes:
>> So, the correct answer to 'Why doesn't OSI certify SQLite as open
>> source?' is 'OSI doesn't certify _any_ software as open source.'
>
>I think perhaps what Karl intended to convey is disappointment in the
>idea that the OSI doesn't certify the copyright status of SQLite as
>compliant with the maning of "open source".

Well, I definitely buy Rick's point that we don't certify software, we
only certify licenses -- that seems like a wise principle to follow.

However, we will still need some sort of statement in our FAQ about the
public domain, because it's coming up w.r.t. US gov't works.  I think I
have enough information from this thread now to write that FAQ entry,
though, and point people to more detailed resources when they need them.

Many thanks to everyone for their patience with the nit-picky details of
this issue, btw.

-Karl