Can OSI specify that public domain is open source?

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Wed Sep 7 21:02:10 UTC 2011

Quoting Karl Fogel (kfogel at red-bean.com):

> You'd think so, but I see it asked by otherwise knowledgeable people all
> the time :-).
>
> My main motivation in having OSI clarify this, in our FAQ or somewhere,
> is U.S. government works, since there are an increasing number of them
> being open sourced.

I respect the effort, if only because (as I mentioned) I've tried to
'set the matter to rest' myself.  In my experience, any sufficiently
detailed and accurate clarification that actually covers the nuances
will get ignored by _most_ of the people asking the question -- because
they don't really want an answer; they just dislike licensing.

There are exceptions, of course, enough that I willing to put in the
time to keep amending
http://linuxmafia.com/faq/Licensing_and_Law/public-domain.html to
address (mostly) ever more inane objections.  ;->