EPICS Open License (U.S. gov't DOE / ANL project).

Karl Fogel kfogel at red-bean.com
Wed Sep 7 17:35:24 UTC 2011

John Scott III just mentioned the EPICS project on another list -- see
details quoted below.

Their license seems pretty open source-ish to me, at first glance,
though it might be more obviously if the word "specified" were removed
from clause 4(c).  They obviously meant it to be open source.  I'm
guessing clauses 5 and 7 were the special sauce DOE needed.

Do we have any history of consideration of this license?  Should we
invite them to submit it?  Or has anyone ever talked to DOE to see if
maybe nowadays they could use a standard open source license?  I wanted
to find out about any history here, before contacting them.

Thanks,
-Karl