[License-discuss] Looking for a license agreement.

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Fri Oct 7 21:29:33 UTC 2011

Quoting David Woolley (forums at david-woolley.me.uk):

> Rather worrying and rather relevant to this, thread, an American
> company is suing the (American) individual who maintains the
> timezone data used in Linux and other open source and proprietary
> software, for alleged infringement of their copyright on the
> historic timezone data, which they allege that  he has copied from
> their publication and has attributed that publication as source.

Nothing in the blue-sky, vague notions[1] discussed upthread could
possibly avert utterly baseless ab-initio civil litigation by a deluded
plaintiff for non-existent infringement of non-existent copyrights
supposedly committed by fully credited reuse of strictly functional
facts over the 30-year period.  Because filing requires only a fee, a
half-baked idea, and some paperwork.

So, prevention is out.  Deterrence on the other hand exists:  Rule 11(b),
Federal Rules of Evidence.

http://www.law.cornell.edu/rules/frcp/Rule11.htm

I hope defence in this case files immediately for sanctions under Rule
11(b).

[1] My opinion, yours for a small fee and a modest patent indemnity.

--
Rick Moen                                  "So as not to offend readers, use
rick at linuxmafia.com                        'the N-word' instead of 'Nebraska'."