[License-discuss] Looking for a license agreement.

Rudy Lippan rlippan at remotelinux.com
Thu Oct 6 20:31:10 UTC 2011

> Rudy Lippan wrote:
>
> > So what I would like to do is tie the license of the software to the user
> > of the software respecting the licenses of the community-distributed components
> > they use, whether or not the individual component is eligible for copyright
> > protection.
> >

> You can't have a licence unless some rights are restricted without it.
> If there really is no intellectual property in the components you
> mention, they don't need, and can't have a licence.

There may not be intellectual property in the components; however, there is work
involved in their creation.  As such, I think it would be fair to be able to
attribute the creator some level of control over the use use of the product.
License may be the wrong term here, but the idea is the same.

I really get the idea of the "License" not being binding, but if someone were
to "Tag" or identify tag the work as "non-commercial", then it could not be used
within the program for commercial purposes without violating the license of the
program itself.

I give you free use of a copy machine, but state that as a condition of use,
you can't copy any of the books on shelf #3, even though a) I don't own
the books and b) they are in the public domain.

-r