Artistic License

Dale netxe456 at gmail.com
Thu May 12 07:46:02 UTC 2011

I’ve found the definitive guide to the difference between Distribution and
License fees. It’s about GPL but I think the concept holds true for other
open source licenses like Artistic License as well

GNU GPL Distribution Fees and Their
Limitations<http://www.miller-attorney.com/articles/MillerGNUGPL.pdf>,
by Benjamin Miller .

which really verifies all suggestions posted in this thread and
especially David
Woolley’s one:

>>You would probably have to only make the file

>>downloadable after payment had been offered, otherwise it might be
confused with

>>a license fee.

Hats off to David!

So if you can sell open source software with a distribution fee
(downloadable after payment has been offered) what happens if the software
has a bug or fails to run in the user’s machine? Should you provide a
refund? Like a 30day money back guarantee?