Why use a CLA?

Lawrence Rosen lrosen at rosenlaw.com
Thu Mar 31 19:29:16 UTC 2011

John Cowan asked:

> I have a more general question, though.

> I've never seen the point of signed CLAs.  If a project doesn't want

> to take copyright ownership (as the FSF does), then why isn't it

> enough to ask contributors to license their contributions under some

> open source license compatible with the project's (preferably the same
one)?

> Indeed, ISTR you making this very point in the past.

Indeed, I did make that very point, and I'm still not comfortable with CLAs
that don't serve a distinct *contribution* purpose.

For many software specification projects, there is a long period during
which contributions from many people are reviewed and incorporated into a
specification document (or software!) followed by a shorter publication
cycle of the complete document (or software!). In the OWF model, during the
contribution review period the contributor's copyright and patent promises
are tied to the contribution itself. When a final specification is released,
however, the copyright and patent promises apply to the entire specification
regardless of who made which contribution. Thus there is a requirement for
two agreements in this context.

You will note that OWFa 1.0 and CLA 1.0 are almost identical.

/Larry

bcc: Open Web Discussion list