FOR APPROVAL: The Python Software Foundation License (PSF License)
van.lindberg at gmail.com
Tue Mar 29 16:18:28 UTC 2011
I would like to submit the following for approval as the Python Software
Foundation License (PSF License).
Please note that it has been slightly generalized to allow for use by more
than just the PSF, in the same style as the BSD license template.
PYTHON SOFTWARE FOUNDATION LICENSE VERSION 2.1
1. This LICENSE AGREEMENT is between <ORGANIZATION>, and the Individual or
Organization ("Licensee") accessing and otherwise using the Software
("<SOFTWARE>") in source or binary form and its associated documentation.
2. Subject to the terms and conditions of this License Agreement,
<ORGANIZATION> hereby grants Licensee a nonexclusive, royalty-free,
world-wide license to reproduce, analyze, test, perform and/or display
publicly, prepare derivative works, distribute, and otherwise use <SOFTWARE>
alone or in any derivative version, provided, however, that this License
Agreement and <ORGANIZATION>'s notice of copyright, e.g., "Copyright (c)
2001-2011 <ORGANIZATION>; All Rights Reserved" are retained in <SOFTWARE>
alone or in any derivative version prepared by Licensee.
3. In the event Licensee prepares a derivative work that is based on or
incorporates <SOFTWARE> or any part thereof, and wants to make the
derivative work available to others as provided herein, then Licensee hereby
agrees to include in any such work a brief summary of the changes made to
4. <ORGANIZATION> is making <SOFTWARE> available to Licensee on an "AS IS"
basis. <ORGANIZATION> MAKES NO REPRESENTATIONS OR WARRANTIES, EXPRESS OR
IMPLIED. BY WAY OF EXAMPLE, BUT NOT LIMITATION, <ORGANIZATION> MAKES NO AND
DISCLAIMS ANY REPRESENTATION OR WARRANTY OF MERCHANTABILITY OR FITNESS FOR
ANY PARTICULAR PURPOSE OR THAT THE USE OF <SOFTWARE> WILL NOT INFRINGE ANY
THIRD PARTY RIGHTS.
5. <ORGANIZATION> SHALL NOT BE LIABLE TO LICENSEE OR ANY OTHER USERS OF
<SOFTWARE> FOR ANY INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES OR LOSS AS
A RESULT OF MODIFYING, DISTRIBUTING, OR OTHERWISE USING <SOFTWARE>, OR ANY
DERIVATIVE THEREOF, EVEN IF ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY THEREOF.
6. This License Agreement will automatically terminate upon a material
breach of its terms and conditions.
7. Nothing in this License Agreement shall be deemed to create any
relationship of agency, partnership, or joint venture between <ORGANIZATION>
and Licensee. This License Agreement does not grant permission to use
<ORGANIZATION> trademarks or trade name in a trademark sense to endorse or
promote products or services of Licensee, or any third party.
8. By copying, installing or otherwise using <SOFTWARE>, Licensee agrees to
be bound by the terms and conditions of this License Agreement.
The following explanatory text may also be used:
This license agreement is used by the Python Software Foundation (PSF) for
licensing Python and Python-related projects where the PSF has some
copyright interest in the project. When used by the PSF:
- <ORGANIZATION> is replaced the first time by "the Python Software
Foundation (PSF)," and by "PSF" thereafter.
- <SOFTWARE> is replaced by "Python" or the applicable project name.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the License-discuss