The Python licensing situation.

Ben Reser ben at reser.org
Wed Jun 8 03:17:03 UTC 2011

On Tue, Jun 7, 2011 at 12:54 PM, Chuck Swiger <chuck at codefab.com> wrote:
> Just like the folks on CPAN writing Perl modules, it is very common for someone writing Python code which they are willing to share with others to license such code under the same terms as Python.  For an example:
>
> __author__    = 'Chuck Swiger <chuck at pkix.net>'
> __copyright__ = 'Copyright (c) 2005-2006 Charles Swiger'
> __version__   = '$Id: histogram.py,v 1.6 2006/05/06 15:47:51 chuck Exp $'
> __license__   = 'This software is licenced under the same terms as Python.  (See the PSF license at www.python.org/license.html).'

There is a lot of logic to this too.  I'm not sure if Python code has
ever ended up being included in the Python distribution (I have to
admit Python is not something I've spent a lot of time looking at). In
the case of Perl many modules have eventually gained so much use that
they've been included in the standard Perl distribution.  Using the
same license makes this easy.