Zeo Developer Terms of Use

Chad Joan chadjoan at gmail.com
Thu Jan 27 06:15:26 UTC 2011

On Wed, Jan 26, 2011 at 2:24 AM, David Woolley
<forums at david-woolley.me.uk>wrote:

> Chad Joan wrote:
>

>> My intent is to write a GPL application using the Zeo Raw Data Library <
>> http://developers.myzeo.com/raw-data-library/>, which can be used to
>> record brainwaves in near-realtime.  The library is given under this license
>> <http://developers.myzeo.com/terms-and-conditions/>, which I've converted
>> into a PDF and attached, incase it changes.
>>

> It's a long way from being GPL compatible.  Unless you own the copyright in
> all the GPL code, and can give a dispensation, I don't see how this can be
> done with the GPL.
>
> --
> David Woolley
> Emails are not formal business letters, whatever businesses may want.
> RFC1855 says there should be an address here, but, in a world of spam,
> that is no longer good advice, as archive address hiding may not work.

I can own the copyright in all of the GPL code in the sense that I don't
intend to try and (re)license Zeo's code under GPL; I'd only be GPL'ing the
code that I write.

The other way I could take "own the copyright in all the GPL code" would be
to mean that I can't have other contributors that share in copyright
ownership for the GPL (as in not Zeo's) code.  That would be unfortunate.
Say it ain't so!

What is a dispensation?  Searching around tells me that it's making an
exemption to some part of the license, but I'm not sure what I'd be
exempting.