[License-discuss] GPL and proprietary WebAPIs

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Tue Dec 27 02:48:23 UTC 2011

Quoting Chris Travers (chris at metatrontech.com):

> Precisely.  As far as US copyright law, I would suggest starting the
> Apple v. Microsoft (1994) and Gates Rubber v. Bando....

Well, my recollection is that CAI v. Altai (FN53: 982 F.2d 693, 23
USPQ2d 1241 2d Cir. 1992) was the more direct precedent for Gates
Rubber v. Bando Chemical.

Micro Star v. FormGen, Inc. and Lewis Galoob Toys, Inc. v. Nintendo of
Am., Inc. would also logically count as essential reading.  Eh, also
throw in Johnson Controls, Inc. v. Phoenix Control Systems, Inc.

--
Rick Moen              "Always capitalize 'Satan'. You don't want to get dead
rick at linuxmafia.com    goats from those people."           -- FakeAPStylebook