[License-discuss] GPL and proprietary WebAPIs

John Cowan cowan at mercury.ccil.org
Fri Dec 23 18:32:46 UTC 2011

Lawrence Rosen scripsit:

> And with regard to this irrational fear of the reach of the GPL
> regarding functional linking that is but one minor factor in a complex
> derivative work analysis, what is the risk that some court will force
> me to disclose my *copyright-independent* crown jewel proprietary
> stuff or give away my patents?

That, at least, seems like FUD to me.  An injunction against further
distribution of the part-GPL proprietary product, sure.  Disgorgement of
ill-gotten gains, possibly.  Damages for copyright violation, conceivably.
But that kind of specific performance?  I can't see any common-law
jurisdiction ordering it.

IANAL, TIN{LA,UPL}.

--
My corporate data's a mess!                     John Cowan
It's all semi-structured, no less.              http://www.ccil.org/~cowan
    But I'll be carefree                        cowan at ccil.org
    Using XSLT
On an XML DBMS.