[License-discuss] GPL and proprietary WebAPIs

John Cowan cowan at mercury.ccil.org
Thu Dec 22 16:51:55 UTC 2011

Chris Travers scripsit:

> In fact, if we go that route, why couldn't Microsoft have just revoked
> Netscape's license to distribute Windows software and killed the
> competition that way?

IANAL, but that strikes me as something that would set them up for a
lawsuit by Netscape, being unambiguous evidence of discrimination.
It's not against the law to be a monopolist, and it's not against the
law to treat your customers in a non-uniform way: it's the combination
that is poison.

--
First known example of political correctness:   John Cowan
After Nurhachi had united all the other         http://www.ccil.org/~cowan
Jurchen tribes under the leadership of the      cowan at ccil.org
Manchus, his successor Abahai (1592-1643)
issued an order that the name Jurchen should       --S. Robert Ramsey,
be banned, and from then on, they were all           The Languages of China
to be called Manchus.