[License-discuss] Greetings, Earthlings! Need quotes for article

Danese Cooper danese at gmail.com
Tue Dec 20 20:47:53 UTC 2011

On Mon, Dec 19, 2011 at 9:27 AM, Robin 'Roblimo' Miller
<robin at roblimo.com>wrote:

> On 12/19/2011 11:57 AM, Tom Callaway wrote:
>
>> Fedora is tracking 300+ different FOSS licenses.
>>

> I got my list here: http://www.opensource.org/**licenses/alphabetical<http://www.opensource.org/licenses/alphabetical>

Rob,

Happy to have a chat if you want a longer conversation...I'm now a "Board
Member Emeritus" of OSI (meaning I'm retired from the Board) and also an
official Board Observer...but my comments would be on my own behalf and not
necessarily the opinion of the OSI

As you may know, in my previous work life I personally contributed to
"License Proliferation" ... Sun submitted four licenses to OSI, of which
three (SISSL, SPL and CDDL) were approved.  I can tell you that I
personally tried to convince the product teams in each of those cases to
use one of the "Big Four" reusable licenses.  Happy to comment on why they
didn't.  Along the way, though, they learned their lesson (and you'll
notice that Sun's final engagement with Open Source used GPLv2).

I can also tell you that during my 10-year tenure on the OSI Board we
consistently tried to convince license authors that they didn't need to
create new licenses, with some success. We've also noticed that most people
who believe they can select the "definitive" collection of worthy licenses
do so with bias that excludes license categories they hope to downplay for
business reasons (witness GoogleCode's exclusion of licenses that require
attribution or those that trigger on use of code rather than distribution).

Anyway, let me know if you'd like a conversation.

Happy Holidays,
Danese