FOR APPROVAL - Python License Changes

Rod Dixon roddixon at cyberspaces.org
Sun Aug 28 19:36:19 UTC 2011

I agree with what has been said in this discussion. The issue regarding the requirement of a "brief summary" explaining changes made resulting in a derivative work is a close call in terms of whether it is desirable, but I agree that it does not seem to violate the OSD. The requirement may be burdensome for certain distributors, but the terms of the license impose the summary requirement on the creator of the derivative work who may not necessarily be the distributor but should be the person (or entity) who can produce an accurate summary of the changes they made. This shouldn't be that burdensome. Or, if it is, it is not because of the summary requirement, it is because of the programmer.

As for the word "brief" being nebulous, I agree -  in the sense that it is redundant when summary follows the word brief. Even so, you still have the problem of whether "summary" is a burdensome requirement. The summary is a good idea, IMHO. Yet, I don't like hard-coding these *rules* in licenses  -- as Karl said, doing so is an undesirable practice. Still, I think inclusion of the summary requirement is compliant with the OSD.

Rod

Sent from my iPhone