MPL RC1 posted to license-review

Karl Fogel kfogel at red-bean.com
Mon Aug 15 16:50:30 UTC 2011

Alexandre Terekhov <alexandre.terekhov at yahoo.de> writes:
>MPL RC1 confuses the term condition (as in "condition precedent") with
>the term covenant (as in "licensee's subsequent obligation/promised
>performance in exchange to the licensed permission/grant").
>MPL RC1 drafter(s) should better go back to law school.

I have no comment on the substance of your observations, Alexandre, but
I will say one thing:

The tone of discussion on all public OSI lists must be civil.  No
insults, period, implied or otherwise.  Telling drafters they need to
report, then just report the bug -- and when you catch a real one, all
sides will thank you for it.  There is never a need for ad hominem
comments.

If we have to switch this to a moderated list to enforce this policy, we
will, but I trust we won't need to.

By the way, as Luis pointed out, license-review@ is the right place for
followup, not license-discuss at .  If you can repost your observation
about "condition" vs "covenant" on license-review@, that would be great.

Thank you,
-Karl