Which DUAL Licence should I choose.

Tzeng, Nigel H. Nigel.Tzeng at jhuapl.edu
Mon Aug 8 18:18:50 UTC 2011

It is interesting the assumption that even mild disagreement with F/LOSS
concepts is a result of lack of understanding and thinking.  As opposed to
understanding and deciding that not all use cases are a good fit for FLOSS
licensing...or unethical for being so.

While charging for software products may not be the only way to make money
on software, it is a/the dominant one and highly effective.  There is also
middle ground between proprietary and F/LOSS.  OSI can concede that
territory or not but CC has elected to embrace it and I think to good
benefit to their commons even with some legal nebulosity of the NC clause.

I would disagree with your assertion that nearly all software is source
available and presumably that you think that source available under
non-commercial terms has no merit.  Perhaps because I'm in a more academic
environment that I view this differently.  As we are a non-profit lab that
does research there's more code out there for us to leverage than for most
corporate developers.

You might note that the NC clause doesn't cause much conceptual confusion
in the CC world. Creations are shared on a spectrum of rights to both
sides of the OSI domain (more "free" given that they have a public domain
dedication and I don't recall that we do and less "free" with the NC
clause).

It's highly amusing to me that discussing licenses of even near peers
(academic/non-commercial open/shared source) is considered off topic by
some members.  That said, I'm not all that huge on advocacy and I'm not a
big proponent of using CC for software anyway.  So I'm more than willing
to drop CC and NC licenses as a topic.

I do wish we could as easily choose from a full spectrum of licenses as
they do and have plain english explanations of our rights and
responsibilities under those terms.  As another benefit the CC doesn't
have a problem with license proliferation that we do and their license
interaction complexities appear no worse than ours.

Regards,

Nigel