Which DUAL Licence should I choose.

Lawrence Rosen lrosen at rosenlaw.com
Mon Aug 8 17:41:40 UTC 2011

Karl Fogel wrote:
> This is just a terminology question.

Not quite.

RMS correctly reminds us that "intellectual property" is a term that
subsumes at least three different property regimes. The Open Source
Definition concerns itself only with copyright, but trademark and patent for
software also affect what we do.

The term "commercial use" implicates patent law in particular. So if you
have an open source license to software for which a patent claim is
affirmatively allowed only for non-commercial use, is that still open
source? The OSD provides no guidance.

/Larry