Towards an OSI-approved "waive all rights" software license

Lawrence Rosen lrosen at rosenlaw.com
Mon Apr 18 18:00:21 UTC 2011

I support Creative Commons licenses. However, I have two concerns about the
use of CC0 for software:

1. Nobody needs any permission (license or otherwise) for works truly in the
public domain by law or public policy. There are serious doubts that a
dedication of a copyrighted work to the public domain can actually be done
or that such a dedication contains sufficient conditions to be enforceable
without treating it as a contract, and so CC0 contains a license fallback.
OSI could analyze CC0 for its license fallback terms, but not as a public
domain dedication.

2. The CC0 license says nothing about patents. I find this particularly
troubling when a CC0 license (or the BSD license, for that matter!) is used
for software or specifications by companies that have large patent
portfolios. What are you withholding? That license is not designed for
software, although I suppose it works for you if you believe that copyright
is all that matters for functional software.

>From the Creative Commons FAQ:

   Can I use a Creative Commons license for software?

   We do not recommend it. Creative Commons licenses should not be
   used for software. We strongly encourage you to use one of the
   very good software licenses which are already available. We
   recommend considering licenses made available by the Free
   Software Foundation or listed at the Open Source Initiative.
   Unlike our licenses, which do not make mention of source or
   object code, these existing licenses were designed specifically
   for use with software. Furthermore, our licenses are not
   compatible with the GPL, the most frequently used free
   software license.

Note: CC0 is actually compatible with GPL for copyright purposes only!

/Larry