modify Apache 2.0 license to allow warranty and service terms

Michael Poole mdpoole at troilus.org
Sun Apr 17 02:43:41 UTC 2011

On Sat, Apr 16, 2011 at 7:07 PM, Qianqian Fang wrote:
> Dear list:
>
> I have a question regarding modification of Apache 2.0 license to
> offer warranty and additional services.
>
> Based on Section 9 of the license
> (http://www.apache.org/licenses/LICENSE-2.0.html),
> additional service terms is permitted. However, in Section 7, the work is
> provided "AS IS" without warranty.
>
> In what form I should modify Apache 2 license to allow me to
>
> 1) offer warranty to the user
> 2) offer itemized services, including technical support, to the user
>
> while keeping the work legitimate under the upstream Apache 2
> license?
>
> Is it ok to delete Section 7 and add the terms regarding warranty?
> is it ok to add new sections after Section 9 to detail the service terms and
> fees?
>
> your feedback is greatly appreciated!
>
> Qianqian

You do not need to modify the license at all.  An Open Source license
allows the recipient to use, modify, redistribute, etc. the
application.  You can make independent agreements with your clients
for warranty or other services under whatever terms that you wish to
offer (and they wish to accept); that is what Section 9 of the Apache
2 license is talking about -- at least until the bit about
indemnification, which I believe is in the spirit of the other
contributors offering no warranty or guarantee with respect to the
software.

Michael Poole