Towards an OSI-approved "waive all rights" software license

Wilf, Frederic M. fwilf at morganlewis.com
Fri Apr 15 13:43:16 UTC 2011

Derrick,

It's an interesting idea.  However, you may be able to use the CC0 directly, without needing another OSI-approved document.  Since the CC0 is a waiver of rights (see, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/legalcode), it may provide all of the legal text that you are looking for.

Of course, CC0 is limited to copyright law and "related rights".  CC0 does not address trademark or patent rights.  So, if you are looking for a way by which a developer can waive *all* rights, including any patent or trademark rights, then you may need a different document that expands on the CC0 waiver.

I hope this helps,

Fred
(Speaking solely for myself)

Frederic M. Wilf
Morgan, Lewis & Bockius LLP

1701 Market Street | Philadelphia, PA 19103-2921
Direct: 215.963.5453 | Main: 215.963.5000 | Fax: 215.963.5001
Assistant: Lucy M. Spivey | 215.963.5035 | lspivey at morganlewis.com

502 Carnegie Center | Princeton, NJ 08540-6241
Direct: 609.919.6646 | Main: 609.919.6600 | Fax: 609.919.6701
Assistant: Ferial Abbas | 609.919.6638 | fabbas at morganlewis.com

fwilf at morganlewis.com | www.morganlewis.com