Machine-readable licenses?

Andrea Chiarelli a.chiarelli at manthys.it
Wed Sep 8 07:49:02 UTC 2010

Hi David,
you are right.
I'm looking for any formal description of an Open Source license so that it
can be interpreted by software and rendered in a way similar to Creative
Commons licenses.
It could be understood in its essential principles by not lawyer people, but
obviously it cannot substitute the legal version of the license. It could
say at a glance what can I do and what cannot I do with this software.

I found CC REL as a formal language for Creative Commons licenses and there
is a GPL v3.0 definition in CC REL
(http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-3.0.rdf ).
However I'm not sure that its vocabulary works well for software licenses,
so I'm wondering if there is some similar project specifically for this.
Is it an utopia?

Thanks
Andrea