Merging two projects and their licenses

Johan Tibell johan.tibell at gmail.com
Sun Oct 31 13:54:26 UTC 2010

Hi Arnoud,

On Sun, Oct 31, 2010 at 2:38 PM, Arnoud Engelfriet
<arnoud at engelfriet.net> wrote:
> Johan Tibell wrote:
>> Copyright (c) 2002, The University Court of the University of Glasgow.
>> Copyright (c) 2007-2010, Johan Tibell
>
> I would suggest some extra wording to make it clear that portions are
> copyright University of Glasgow and others from yourself. With the
> above wording, the first impression is that the university transferred
> its rights to you.
>
> You could use "Portions copyright A and portions copyright B".

This is really hard as the code quickly gets intermingled: a single
file may contain code snippets that have different copyright. Is it
sufficient that the actual author (and thus copyright holder) of any
particular piece of code can be retrieved from the version control
system that the code is stored in?

Perhaps the copyright lines should look like

    Copyright (c) 2002-2010, The University Court of the University of Glasgow.
    Copyright (c) 2007-2010, Johan Tibell

to better reflect that both parties still have copyright in the work?

I've never seen copyright statement more granular than on a per-file
basis. How do projects deal with multiple contributors and their
copyright?

Thanks,
Johan