Google's patent license for VP8 [was: Google WebM?]

John Cowan cowan at ccil.org
Thu May 20 23:31:20 UTC 2010

Ben Tilly scripsit:

> I fail to see any drafting ambiguity at all here.  The patent license
> that Google is giving is good for all patent claims in all patents it
> owns, or will acquire, that this implementation could infringe on.

The question is, what does "this implementation" mean?  Is it only the
version released by Google, or are modified implementations under the
BSD license also eligible?

> There is no stated limitation on how you may use that license, so you
> are free to use that license for this implementation, modify it,

The magic patent-license verbs "make, have made, use, offer to sell,
sell, import, and otherwise transfer" do not include "modify" or anything
like it.

--
Long-short-short, long-short-short / Dactyls in dimeter,     John Cowan
Verse form with choriambs / (Masculine rhyme):           cowan at ccil.org