Open Source Decision Models

Lawrence Rosen lrosen at rosenlaw.com
Fri Mar 5 18:06:03 UTC 2010

Somik,

Regardless of whether your spreadsheet is "data" or "code", it probably
qualifies for copyright protection in the US as an expressive literary work.
That is why my licenses (OSL/AFL 3.0) unambiguously refer to an "original
work of authorship," which is the phrase actually used in the US Copyright
Act (17 USC 101 et seq.)

Which is not to say that everything about your spreadsheet is protected by
copyright. Anyone who learns about your spreadsheet may create his own
spreadsheet with similar (even, if necessary, identical) equations in order
to recreate its functions. The process of calculation in your spreadsheet is
almost certainly not copyrightable as such. If, however, there is some small
nugget of expressive content in your spreadsheet, copyright can apply to
that abstracted piece. Any open source copyright license will suffice for
protecting that nugget. Choose a license appropriate for your business
model.

/Larry

Lawrence Rosen

3001 King Ranch Road, Ukiah, CA 95482

Office: 707-485-1242    Cell: 707-478-8932

Apache Software Foundation, member and counsel (www.apache.org)

Open Web Foundation, board member (www.openwebfoundation.org)

Stanford University, Instructor in Law

Author, Open Source Licensing: Software Freedom and Intellectual Property
Law (Prentice Hall 2004)