protecting an Innovation from unlicensed abuse by a rival commercial 3rd party

Ben Tilly btilly at gmail.com
Fri Jun 11 17:33:20 UTC 2010

On Fri, Jun 11, 2010 at 7:30 AM, Harri Saarikoski
<harriers at windowslive.com> wrote:
>> Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2010 19:26:58 +1000
[...]
> Patenting yes, it's not like I hadn't thought about it... Just that being
> relatively poor (as most of us are), I find the funding required for
> worldwide patenting to be too much. Although (now I have to ask since I let
> go of patenting six months ago), if I apply for patent in my home country,
> and it then goes into the "process" of novelty inspection and all that, does
> it then protect the Innovation from some point then on from someone reading
> the patent document and patenting it worldwide in all the other countries
> (specifically the US where the rivals are) ? I don't know how it is in your
> countries (and I do appreciate the flurry of replies in such short time) but
> here the goverment agency supporting patenting takes -3% royalty fees for
> each sales of the product (so that kind of 'forced dependency' turned me
> off).
[...]

I am not a lawyer, but I will point out that there is a reasonable
chance that the Bilsky case will result in the elimination or else
great reduction of software patents in the USA.  I would therefore
advise that you should definitely not act on the patent question until
that is decided.  (The decision could come at any time now.)

Ben