Physical file organisation of any bearing to LGPL?

David Woolley forums at david-woolley.me.uk
Thu Jul 29 21:06:25 UTC 2010

Stuart Rossiter wrote:

> As a concrete example, say that (in Java) I subclass an LGPL class, and that
> subclass is kept in the same package as its parent (perhaps due to accessing
> protected members, or some run-time dynamic discovery of said classes by the
> LGPL code). So I'd be distributing my code in the same physical directory as the
> LGPL (and, indeed, the same logical package; perhaps this is an additional
> 'logical structure' subtlety?).

It has to be such that an end user can, easily, break apart the
packaging and substitute a different implementation of the LGPLed component.

The declaration of the protected interface would need to be in the LGPL
component, or have an LGPL compatible licence.  Although the first L no
longer means library, it is still the case that the LGPL component must
be able to exist on its own and still be usable.

--
David Woolley