Trademark policies and licenses

Tony Yarusso tyarusso at nagios.com
Tue Jul 20 20:57:27 UTC 2010

Hi, I'm trying to figure out what the usual / proper way of referencing
a trademark policy is.  In short, we have a trademark policy similar to
Ubuntu or Mozilla saying that people can use the term "Nagios" for
add-ons built for our software and community advocacy, and a license
that allows people to build derivatives of part of it (we have both an
OSS and commercial version now), but don't want the term "Nagios" used
for forks resulting from that license.  The question then is, how do we
tell people about that trademark policy?  Should it be placed in the
license itself (and would that nullify the OSI approval and/or
compatibilities of the license), just placed online and hope that
somehow people magically decide to Google for it, or something else?
Legally speaking the combination of an OSI-approved license and our
trademark policy appear to accomplish what we want, but we seem to be
having difficulty getting people to actually *read* / care about our
trademark policy currently.  What would you recommend?

(Note:  Nagios Core is licensed under the GPL v2.  We will probably be
releasing some add-on components under the 3-clause BSD, MIT, or similar
license.  One idea being discussed is to write a new license that
incorporates terms to basically accomplish what trademark law should,
although I'm not quite sure how that would work or if it's a good idea.)

--
Tony Yarusso
Technical Team
Email:  tyarusso at nagios.com