Do download sites violate GNU GPL programs?

Oleksandr Gavenko gavenkoa at gmail.com
Tue Dec 14 22:04:35 UTC 2010

On 2010-12-14 23:34, David Woolley wrote:
> Lior W. wrote:
>> Googling
>> "download virtualdub" -site:virtualdub.sourceforge.net
>> -site:virtualdub.org
>> currently leads to 22,300 search results.
>
> If they are on sourceforge, but not providing source, tell sourceforge,
> and they will almost certainly pull the package. For most packages on
> sourceforge, if you choose download you get only the sources.
If uploader is author (and have exclusive right)
they may do not do this.

If it is not this make GPL violation and I think that SourceForge
team close access to such content.

In any case if you read

http://sourceforge.net/apps/trac/sitelegal/wiki/Terms_of_Use#a11.DISCLAIMEROFWARRANTIES

you see

... DISCLAIM ALL WARRANTIES ... THE ACCURACY OR COMPLETENESS
OF SOURCEFORGE.NET'S CONTENT ... (F) ANY ERRORS OR OMISSIONS
IN ANY CONTENT AND MATERIALS

so SF is not responsible for GPL violation if project members do
not "provide clear instructions people can follow to obtain the source".

--
Best regards!