GNU GPL can't force payment?

Cinly Ooi cinly.ooi at gmail.com
Tue Dec 14 20:30:46 UTC 2010

Dear DES,

I remember coming across a GPLed netflow probe implementation (around
> 2004, IIRC) that was sold in source form with a note asking customers to
> please not exercise their right to redistribute the source code.

Interesting.

Funny enough, I am sure that is legal under GPL.

However, unless the note was accompanied with a convincing argument on why
customers should not exercise that rights, it is effectively acknowledging
customers' right to redistribute.

Personally it will not have any effect on me. My argument is they could had
used other, non-GPLed, software to create the probe. Me being able to
redistribute the source code was part of the bargain and they cannot, on
second thought, come back and tell me not to redistribute.

I would, however, consider their offer of a maintenance contract or ask my
recipients to consider making a donation if the probe is good to support the
development effort.

Cinly