LGPL, purchasing product that links or modifies libraries under LGPL

G Life g.life.log at gmail.com
Thu Dec 9 01:44:59 UTC 2010

Hi all,

First of all, i would like to thank in advanced to those who help with my
limited understanding with LGPL.  Many, many thanks.

I have two situations (please refer to attached picture).

Situation #1

I am hiring some professional services(vendors, software house, a team of
programmers) that would help me to code / develop a software that would LINK
TO a library that's under LGPL.  The product, at the end, will be delivered
to me.

1) Under this scenario, Do the professional services need to make part of
the product i purchase distributable or released to the public ?
2) Would the professional services be held accountable if the proprietary
portion (the product) is leaked?
3) What license do i need to get in order to get full protection to the
product i purchase so that none of the parts need to be released or be made
distributable?
4) May i please know where i could get the relevant business cases or
documents that answers the aforementioned inquiries?

Situation #2

I am hiring some professional services(vendors, software house, a team of
programmers) that would help me to code / develop a software that would LINK
TO and, possibly, MODIFIES the library that's under LGPL.  The product, at
the end, will be delivered to me.

1) Under this scenario, Do the professional services need to make part of
the product i purchase distributable or released to the public ?
2) Would the professional services be held accountable if the proprietary
portion (the product) is leaked?
3) What license do i need to get in order to get full protection to the
product i purchase so that none of the parts need to be released or be made
distributable?
4) May i please know where i could get the relevant business cases or
documents that answers the aforementioned inquiries?

Many, many
Thanks
Gary Tsui