Embargoing certain countries, but still being open source

David Woolley forums at david-woolley.me.uk
Wed Sep 23 07:18:03 UTC 2009

Anton Lauridsen wrote:

> I have a couple of Open Source projects, licensed under BSD, but for
> which I have the complete copyright. I am contemplating to change the
> license into something, which prevents US citizens and/or interests,
> directly or indirectly from using my software.

As I understand it, US Law doesn't consider use of software to be a
right protected by copyright, so a non-contractual restriction on use
would probably be void.

I would imagine, if they don't already exist, exemptions would be
legislated for the military, in times of war, even for contractual
restrictions.

--
David Woolley