question about AGPLv3, OSLv3, the keyword 'communicate'

Lawrence Rosen lrosen at rosenlaw.com
Sat Oct 3 02:11:16 UTC 2009

In OSL 3.0, the word "communicate" has nothing to do with the way an
application works. It means essentially the equivalent of "distribute" in US
copyright law, but is used to imply that a physical copy need not be
exchanged between Licensor and you in order for the software to be
"distributed or communicated" between you.

Please look at section 5, "External Deployment", to see how OSL 3.0 deals
with applications used over a network.

For more information, see http://www.rosenlaw.com/OSL3.0-explained.pdf.

/Larry

Lawrence Rosen
3001 King Ranch Road, Ukiah, CA 95482
Office: 707-485-1242    Cell: 707-478-8932