new bsd license

Joe Bell joe.bell at prodeasystems.com
Sun Nov 15 19:29:09 UTC 2009

Well, I can only speak to my opinion, and that's you should put at the
minimum the copyright notice, the license this file is covered under,
and instructions of how to find the full terms.

For example, LICENSE.txt would contain the full license (see
http://www.opensource.org/licenses/bsd-license.php) and then the banner
for each file would be

/*
 * Copyright (c) <year>, <copyright holder>
 *
 * This file is a part of <program> and is licensed under the terms
outlined in
 * LICENSE.txt accompanying <program>.
 *
 * THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED BY <copyright holder> AS IS ...
 *
 */

It's a preference as to whether to include the full "AS IS" and
disclaimer of no warranty - when I am authoring open source code on
behalf of my employer it is required, and now I do it out of habit.

Standard disclaimers apply, I am not a lawyer and nothing above should
be construed to be legal advice.

Regards,
Joe