GPL with the Classpath exception - clarification needed

John Cowan cowan at ccil.org
Wed Mar 25 05:34:21 UTC 2009

Blake White scripsit:

> Let's say I use the GPL with the Classpath exception to distribute
> a library I wrote. Suppose someone modifies the library, never releases
> the library directly, but links it into an executable and releases
> that executable under a closed license.

They can't do that.  The Classpath exception allows the distribution of
"this library" as part of a proprietary program.  It does *not* allow
"a modified form of this library" to be so distributed.  Any modifications
can only be on the terms of the GPL.

--
You let them out again, Old Man Willow!                 John Cowan
What you be a-thinking of?  You should not be waking!   cowan at ccil.org
Eat earth!  Dig deep!  Drink water!  Go to sleep!
Bombadil is talking.                                    http://ccil.org/~cowan