[FTF-Legal] FW: [Ossi] DISA to open source administrative software

Alon von Bismark alvbi at yahoo.com
Sat Mar 21 15:48:02 UTC 2009

--- On Wed, 3/18/09, Carlo <carlo at piana.eu> wrote:

> From: Carlo <carlo at piana.eu>
> Subject: Re: [FTF-Legal] FW: [Ossi] DISA to open source administrative software
> To: lrosen at rosenlaw.com, "European Legal Network" <ftf-legal at fsfeurope.org>
> Cc: license-discuss at opensource.org, license-proliferation-2 at opensource.org, "'Open Bar general discussion list'" <discuss-general at open-bar.org>
> Date: Wednesday, March 18, 2009, 3:08 PM
> Dear Larry,
>
> Well,
>
> it seems a Good Thing (TM) that:
>
> a) they have released it under free and open source
> software conditions;
> b) they have chosen licenses already available instead of
> inventing a
> new one (EU should learn from this).
>
> I am not entirely sure I understand the double licensing
> decision, but
> being them both free and open source  software
> licenses, I think I am fine.
>
> I cannot comment very much in front of you about the actual
> choice of
> the licence(s) because we already know we have different
> opinions about
> what are to be preferred, ça va sans dire... What could
> disturb me is
> that both licenses are GPL-incompatible, as per the FSF's
> assessment --
> not sure I agree --, but this is not something you have not
> heard
> before, I guess, and perhaps you don't agree with it.
>
> Why not a... triple licensing? ;-)

"OSSI decided not to use any version of the GPL for the CMIS software because of the limitations that the GPL places upon linking. Some companies avoid GPL software because, when they link to it from their own proprietary software, they are expected to disclose their source code. "

http://www.oss-institute.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=316&Itemid=47

--
"All requests pertaining to the planned publication of materials from Einstein's writings should be sent to the Albert Einstein Archives.
Please refer to the following price lists."

  -- http://www.albert-einstein.org/archives13.html