Question Regarding Copyright Issue For An Open Source Project

Dag-Erling Smørgrav des at des.no
Fri Jul 31 20:43:54 UTC 2009

David Woolley <forums at david-woolley.me.uk> writes:
> Yan Cheng Cheok <yccheok at yahoo.com> writes:
> > In order to avoid this type of conflict, shall I enforce all
> > commited source code shall be copyright under me?
> That is done.  The Free Software Foundation actually does this.

That's not why they do it, AFAIK - they do it so they can more easily
prosecute people who violate the license.

If you want to do the same (for whichever reason), make sure you get it
on paper, and keep in mind that someone could decide to fork your code
rather than transfer their copyright to you.

> In many countries, the USA is a notable exception, it is a legal right
> (moral rights) for contributors to request that their contribution be
> recognized.

That's always a good idea, even if it's not legally required.  People
might be more inclined to transfer the copyright for their contributions
if they know they'll still get attribution.

DES
Dag-Erling Smørgrav - des at des.no