Apache 2 License vs OSI definition

John Cowan cowan at ccil.org
Fri Jul 17 08:17:45 UTC 2009

Johannes Buchner scripsit:

> I realise that Apache 2 is not a viral license, but if you do not have
> to give away your modified source code or the original source code,
> /ever/, how can it be OSI-certified?

It's an open source license because it meets the requirements of
the Open Source Definition #1 and #3-10.  Software licensed
under it is open-source software if the source code is available
(which is #OSD 2).  The fact that it's possible to make a derivative
work that is not publicly available does not change the status
of either the license or the works licensed under it.

--
I marvel at the creature: so secret and         John Cowan
so sly as he is, to come sporting in the pool   cowan at ccil.org
before our very window.  Does he think that     http://www.ccil.org/~cowan
Men sleep without watch all night?