motivation Re: For Approval: Transitive Grace Period Public Licence, v1.0

Donovan Hawkins hawkins at cephira.com
Fri Feb 27 03:09:16 UTC 2009

On Thu, 26 Feb 2009, zooko wrote:

> Thank you for posting about the possibility that the TGPPL could engender
> greater production of open source software.  That is indeed exactly my
> motivation.
>
> What I call "the capitalist feedback loop" is that under capitalism the
> greater the magnitude of value created by something, then the greater the
> amount of resources that tend to get directed to making more of that thing.
>
> I used to call this by the economics jargon term "incentive", but this is
> misleading as it makes it sounds like people don't *want* to create open
> source software enough, and we're going to make them *want* to by paying
> them.  That's not it at all -- it's a question of resource allocation.

I had a similar idea a couple years ago for a time-delayed GPL license
which would allow use in closed-source projects without source code
release for a fixed term (I was toying with 2-3 years). I was primarily
inspired by the fan projects trying to resurrect classic computer games
without access to the source code. The code has little or no commercial
value, but it is often lost or in ownership limbo because the company has
folded. Even if the company still exists, they generally have no incentive
to release it and will let it rot on a shelf rather than give it away. I
was hoping that the license I was working on could offer those companies a
body of software that would speed their own development in exchange for
giving us their programs after they were no longer of value to them.

The posts you quoted were discussing source code escrow; I also decided
that some sort of escrow would be needed if such a license was going to
work. It's easy to agree to release your source code years in the future
when you are first starting a project, but it gets a lot harder when the
game you wrote turns out to be a blockbuster success and the source code
is suddenly worth millions if you can keep it from your competitors. I
tried to write some language that could force eventual release, but I
ultimately abandoned the whole thing believing that it would be nearly
impossible to ensure compliance. Towards the end I was considering having
some open source websites that would be certified to act as escrow agents
(for people who wanted the simplest and free option), together with very
strict legalese in order to use an uncertified bank or law firm (for
companies who want to be sure their code won't be released early). At that
point, I realized this was changing from a project I could put together
and get a laywer to read over and fix to something that would take a team
of lawyers to write and a judge somewhere down the line to decide if they
succeeded.

I stuck a copy of the last version of the text I wrote on
http://www.cephira.com/Temp/CephiraLicense.txt for you to look at. As
always, I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice. The license has
never been looked at by a lawyer and is probably not usable, but maybe you
will find something useful for your license. The text says it is version 3
because it was intended to be compatible with GPL v3.

The license I was working on (which was to be called the Cephira Public
License or CPL) was basically the GPL with additional permissions to
release derived works under the CPL or a special license called the
Cephira Temporary License (CTL). CPL code would sit between the permissive
licenses and the GPL in terms of compatibility: CPL code could use
permissive code but not the reverse, and GPL code could use CPL code but
not the reverse. Developers extending CPL code would ideally release under
CPL, but GPL developers could also use it. Closed-source commercial
developers would use the CTL together with their own closed-source
restrictions to release their programs, but the CTL automatically grants
GPL rights after the temporary period has expired. That was the legal
mechanism I was trying to create with the license, and it seems like it
could work if you can figure out how to ensure compliance up front.

There is some language on source code escrow in my draft, but it's
probably the weakest section. I'm not sure a bulletproof version is even
possible, but I wish you the best of luck in trying to work it all out.

Donovan Hawkins, PhD                 "The study of physics will always be
Software Engineer                     safer than biology, for while the
hawkins at cephira.com                   hazards of physics drop off as 1/r^2,
http://www.cephira.com                biological ones grow exponentially."