Viral permissiveness

Donovan Hawkins hawkins at cephira.com
Wed Feb 4 18:59:29 UTC 2009

On Wed, 4 Feb 2009, Steve Thomas wrote:

> Under this interpretation of copyright law, isn't some "provenance"
> data structure or markup associated with a source file required such
> that, given a specific character of the file (highlighted by a cursor
> in a text editor, say), it is possible to ascertain information
> including:
>  1) the license pertaining to the Work that character came from
>  2) the owner of the copyright in that Work, if there is one

> In simple and infrequently changing cases, this could perhaps be
> maintained manually. Otherwise, text editors wou
> ld be required that kept track of such metadata for their subject
> files and for their buffers.

But in this case the whole is greater than the sum of its parts. A
person can have copyright on 1000 characters of source code, but they
don't have copyright on each individual letter taken separately because a
single letter is not original.

As the text gets sliced and diced, the "spirit" of copyright is still
there and still taints the derivative work but may not exist in any
specific letter. For example, extensive global search-and-replace combined
with code obfuscation tricks might eliminate every single letter of the
original but you would still be subject to copyright and the license
restrictions of the original. No judge would permit alterations which can
be 100% automated to create an original work. If they did, the compiled
executable would qualify (as would translations of literary works).

On the other hand, a careful rewrite which reimplements the algorithm "in
your own words" can escape copyright and produce a new original. The
extreme example of this is setting up a Chinese wall where one person or
team converts the source code into an algorithmic description which is not
protected by copyright (but might be protected by patents) and a different
team who has never seen the source code reimplements the algorithm.

There's a fine line between mechanical modification and real rewriting
that a text editor couldn't possibly understand, nor could it monitor the
buffer in the typist's brain which allows him to delete some text and
retype it again with trivial modifications in another location.

Fortunately, this seems like more of a philosophical problem than an
actual one. Humans can pretty easily compare both works and decide whether
one incorporates the other in a meaningful sense. Obfuscation and text
replacement can be pointed out to a judge by the original author, and he
can render a reasonable decision that most of us could predict given the
facts of the case. The only ambiguity lies in our inherent inablity to
precisely define how many changes are required to completely obliterate
the original work, making the answer somewhat subjective in difficult
cases. Reverse engineers use Chinese walls precisely to avoid this
question.

In short, this is a question that human beings can generally answer with
ease but which would be almost impossible for a computer to answer in many
important cases. The concept of "copying" involves more than the act of
transcription; it is really about whether the text of the original drove
the execution of the copy and acted as the primary creative element for
the resulting text. Word-by-word or even line-by-line rewording is still
plagiarism to most people because it is a "mechanical" process even when a
human being performs it, yet a machine would be hard pressed to recognize
it as copying.

As for the case of a person taking part of a GPL'd work and treating it as
being under BSDL because that portion originated under BSDL, the judge is
probably not going to object if the text is immediately identifiable as
being part of the original BSDL work with only trivial modifications. My
impression is that even the people who believe relicensing is
techincally legal do not believe you would have standing to sue for
copyright infringement when there is no original work added...the
arguments I've read online have been largely philosophical ones as I
understand them.

And if the original BSDL work has been sliced and diced to the point of
identifying where individual letters came from, then the slicing and
dicing itself probably deserves copyright protection.

Donovan Hawkins, PhD                 "The study of physics will always be
Software Engineer                     safer than biology, for while the
hawkins at cephira.com                   hazards of physics drop off as 1/r^2,
http://www.cephira.com                biological ones grow exponentially."