combining software under different licenses

Lawrence Rosen lrosen at rosenlaw.com
Sat Aug 29 14:19:01 UTC 2009

Mark, I'm sorry if I was unclear about the compatibility of GPL and the Apache license.

The problem is the following: Apache policy is to release all software it distributes under the Apache License. If Apache were to include links to GPL software and as a convenience to its customers also distribute the GPL software itself, then FSF would expect the entire package to be under the GPL. There is no way that ASF can honor its own licensing philosophy and also respect FSF's attitude about linking creating a derivative work.

This says nothing about combinations that third parties can make by themselves, which can be done by any user who wants to. It also says nothing about the ability of a GPL distributor (GPLv3 only, according to FSF) to include Apache code in that software and link to it, as long as the resulting combination is under GPL.

Please let me know if you think I'm analyzing this license compatibility problem incorrectly. I'd personally like nothing better than to encourage ASF to be free to combine GPL and Apache software (through linking, of course) without "infecting" the Apache code.

/Larry