Copyleft license that allow inclusion in other program?

S P Arif Sahari Wibowo arifsaha at yahoo.com
Sat Aug 22 16:30:29 UTC 2009

Hi opensourcer!

Do you know whether there are any licenses that allow inclusion
(more than just linking) of the code into other program with
other license, but the license is still copyleft (albeit weak)?

Why inclusion instead of linking? Well, for scripts "library" or
snippets which are distributed and run from source, there are
issues with linking:
  - the term "linking" is not very meaningful (often done by the
interpreter include the code into the caller code).
  - some scripts snippets do required to be included to be useful
(e.g. some shell codes that need to be put into the startup
scripts).

Actually I think scripts should be treated more like a
documents. However, open source licenses I know for
documentation - CC-BY-SA and GFDL - seems to be strong copyleft
(inclusion in other document only valid if the whole final
document in the same license), aren't they?

Why not permissive license such as BSD or X11 licenses? Well
they are not exactly copyleft (does not guarantee changes for
the source itself will be released as open source), right?

Any thought? Thanks!

--
    ____  ____  ____  ____ (stephan paul) Arif Sahari Wibowo
   /___  /___/ /___/ /___      http://www.arifsaha.com/