Apache style issue

John Cowan cowan at ccil.org
Tue Aug 18 14:22:04 UTC 2009

Banzi Massimo scripsit:

> Excuse me, perhaps it's a simple question for experts, but I cannot
> find a definition of "Apache style" license.  Dealing with legal issues
> I would like to find a "formal" definition of what "Apache style"
> means, but I couldn't find it neither on Apache site and on the net.
> Can you help me?

Probably not.  The English phrase "X-style" means "something that is
in the spirit of X".  You cannot expect to find a formal definition of
"Apache-style license" any more than you can expect to find a formal
definition of "Italian-style cooking" (which, in America, includes things
that would make any Italian explode at the thought of anyone eating them).

Informally, an Apache-style license is one that allows reuse of the code
covered by it in other programs with few restrictions.  "BSD-style" and
"MIT-style" mean about the same; a more formal term is "permissive".

--
De plichten van een docent zijn divers,         John Cowan
die van het gehoor ook.                         cowan at ccil.org
      --Edsger Dijkstra                         http://www.ccil.org/~cowan