GPL, BSD, commercial

Michele Bosi michele.bosi at gmail.com
Thu Apr 2 07:40:43 UTC 2009

Yes, I agree with you Matt, the problem is the non-trivial definition
of derivative-work. In fact some people believe that the simple fact
of subclassing in your C++ sources a class that is released under the
LGPL makes your sources a derivative-work. In my opinion this is not
the case as the LGPL point 5 is very general and does not make or
imply any exception based on the kind of language one uses or based on
what's written in the "work that uses the Library". Of course it would
be different if my sources contained parts of the library.
Furthermore, I would say that a line of code "MyClass: public
ParentClass" where ParentClass is defined in the LGPL library, should
not constitute a derivative work, because "ParentClass" should not be
considered "including a portion of the Library". In fact if the simple
act of using in my sources an identifier declared or implemented in
the LGPL library constituted a derivative work than it seems to me
that there would be *no way* to apply section 5 of the LGPL ever and
for noone. In order for section 5 to have sense and to be usable at
all, it must imply that one can freely use identifiers "coming" from
an LGPL licensed sources. If this wasn't the intention of the LGPL,
than probably they could have just dropped section 5 altogether since
it cannot be exploited by anyone. Or at least this is my personal
interpretation of the subject.

Michele