Apache License v2.0

Michael Tiemann tiemann at opensource.org
Sat Sep 27 01:06:20 UTC 2008

On Fri, Sep 26, 2008 at 8:08 PM, Chuck Swiger <chuck at codefab.com> wrote:

> Have you actually taken a look under there, such as at a path like:
>

> ftp://ftp.redhat.com/pub/redhat/linux/enterprise/5Server/en/os/i386/Debuginfo/bash-debuginfo-3.1-16.1.i386.rpm
>
> ...you get an RPM, which through tools like rpm2cpio, you can extract find
> that you get a debug binary (ie, with symbols), and the associated source
> code.  What you don't get are the ./configure script & autoconf harness, or
> a Makefile, or the rest of the build infrastructure required to (a) actually
> build the software, (b) comply with the following part of the GPL:
>
> "The source code for a work means the preferred form of the work for
> making modifications to it.  For an executable work, complete source
> code means all the source code for all modules it contains, plus any
> associated interface definition files, plus the scripts used to
> control compilation and installation of the executable."

Chuck,

I see your problem: you don't understand how Red Hat makes its source code
available.  The place you should be looking for real-live source code is

ftp://ftp.redhat.com/pub/redhat/linux/enterprise/5Server/en/os/SPRMS/

There you will find the source rpm for the bash 3.1-16 code, complete with
configure script and Makefile.in
By making *that* source available, Red Hat discharges its responsibility for
providing the source code to any bash-3.1-16 binary.

Now, you have discovered that there is source code in the bash-3.1-16
*binary* rpm, but that source code is there for the purposes of providing
the file-level references that the debugger needs.  It's a subset of the
source that's good enough for the debugger, but, as you so keenly observe,
not good enough for building from source.  That is not a bug, but a feature:
with the binary we supply the smallest amount of source we can so that the
debugger can do its job.  But if you want to build the code from source,
don't build from a binary, build from the preferred form of the work...a
source RPM.