Apache License v2.0

Chuck Swiger chuck at codefab.com
Sat Sep 27 00:08:22 UTC 2008

On Sep 26, 2008, at 4:52 PM, Matthew Flaschen wrote:
> Chuck Swiger wrote:
>> See https://www.redhat.com/apps/download/
>
> I think you're misunderstanding what they're saying.  Red Hat charges
> for binaries (+accoutrements), as they are entitled to do so.

I don't mind them charging for their proprietary logos and additional
non-free software, if someone is willing to pay for such.

> But they give anyone who has binaries source code for gratis, which
> means there's
> no source-code ransoming.

Hmm.

>> Of course, Fedora is also available, but it seems to be quite
>> difficult
>> to get the actual Redhat sources, even ones under the GPL, without
>> placing an order to get a subscription #/login account.
>
> This has been claimed repeatedly lately, but isn't accurate.  It's
> right
> where you would expect, on RedHat's FTP server.
>
> ftp.redhat.com
> pub/redhat (only option)
> linux
> enterprise
> 5Server

Have you actually taken a look under there, such as at a path like:

   ftp://ftp.redhat.com/pub/redhat/linux/enterprise/5Server/en/os/i386/Debuginfo/bash-debuginfo-3.1-16.1.i386.rpm

...you get an RPM, which through tools like rpm2cpio, you can extract
find that you get a debug binary (ie, with symbols), and the
associated source code.  What you don't get are the ./configure script
& autoconf harness, or a Makefile, or the rest of the build
infrastructure required to (a) actually build the software, (b) comply
with the following part of the GPL:

"The source code for a work means the preferred form of the work for
making modifications to it.  For an executable work, complete source
code means all the source code for all modules it contains, plus any
associated interface definition files, plus the scripts used to
control compilation and installation of the executable."

Regards,
--
-Chuck